Florida residents and visitors alike know that there’s no shortage of bugs in The Sunshine State. From mosquitoes to roaches, wasps to ants, there are plenty of creepy crawlies to look out for around your Florida property. Learn more about the Florida pests you should be aware of from season to season, so you can keep your property free from pest issues all year long.
Spring Showers and Rising Temperatures
The arrival of spring means plenty of rainfall and rising temperatures throughout the State of Florida, and with it comes the beginning of insect season. As you’d find in other regions of the country, water and higher temperatures make insects more active. Some of the nuisance pests to be aware of include:
- Stinging Insects. Bees, wasps, and other stinging insects mate in Florida during the spring into early summer. As plants start to bloom, bee activity increases.
- Ants can be a pesky problem for Florida home- and business-owners. They mate in the spring and love to build their nests near a steady food source, like your home or business.
Summer Heat and Humidity
Bugs run rampant in Florida all summer long due to the state’s high heat and humidity. These conditions are ideal for ants, termites, and other destructive insects to cause major problems at homes and businesses throughout Florida. In the summer months, look out for these pesky pests:
- There are several types of termites to be aware of in Florida, from native drywood termites that can live inside your home’s wood framing to invasive, destructive Formosan and Asian subterranean termites that live in nests in your yard, transporting wood in your home to feed the colony. Schedule an annual termite inspection to keep your property termite-free since these pests can go unnoticed until they do significant damage.
- Mosquitoes are more than a nuisance; they can even spread disease. Wearing insect repellant and removing standing water can keep mosquitoes at bay, but your best bet is to invest in professional, eco-friendly mosquito control to keep these terrible guests away.
Cooler Temps in Fall Bring More Pests
As temperatures cool in Florida in the fall, there are still nuisance pests to look out for, including:
- Ghost ants, Caribbean crazy ants, fire ants, and more are more active during the fall. They can do everything from damaging your home to biting people and pets, so getting them under control is essential.
- Stinging Insects. Yellow jackets and wasps are active in the fall. You should never attempt to remove a hive or nest—instead, call the pest control experts to relocate hives and remove nests safely and responsibly.
Winters Are Warm in Florida
While temperatures do drop during Florida winters, it’s still warm enough to support certain pests. As the temperatures and humidity fall, make sure your property is protected from:
- Holiday traveling often leads to an uptick in bedbug activity. Instead of tackling this problem on your own, call the pest control experts to rid your property of bedbugs.
- These resilient pests are adaptable to cold, which means they can be a big problem in the winter. Infestations prove difficult to eliminate with DIY methods, so call your eco-friendly pest control experts as soon as you spot even one single roach.
Florida residents have plenty of pests to look out for from season to season. Unfortunately, home remedies or DIY pest control treatments aren’t enough to keep your home or business free from these unwanted intruders. Reach out to the eco-friendly pest control experts at Evergreen Lawn and Pest Control today at (407) 565-9250 and say goodbye to unwanted pests for good!